Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sesame Radishes and Eggs

I have been cooking a lot of radishes for breakfast. I never would have bought them from the store in the past, let alone eaten them for breakfast! But we get such beautiful radishes from the CSA! How could you resist veggies like this?:

I have developed a new love. I usually make them using a Cook's Illustrated recipe- braising them in a lemon-thyme broth. But I wanted something new for my taste buds this morning. Asian breakfast it was! I cannot take credit for this recipe. I got it on Pinterest. I basically halved the recipe, added the radish greens, and an egg. I am going to post my version but if you look on the other site you will notice it is very similar.

This recipe is very healthy, could be a great side for an asian dinner, but is an amazingly filling breakfast (or brunch in my case - it was 2 pm!)

Serves 2.
ww = Radishes alone (2 points); Radish + Egg (4 points)

Ingredients:
1 Bunch of radishes and their greens (about 10 radishes)
3/4 T sesame oil
1 T low sodium shochu or soy sauce
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 t sesame seeds
2 eggs
fresh sea salt and black pepper

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven (I used my toaster oven) to 425 degrees. Wash radishes and greens, picking out coarse stems. Cut ends off radishes and cut into quarters or eighths depending upon how large they are. Rip the leaves into smaller pieces and set aside.
2. Spray a small baking pan with a very small amount of olive oil so the radishes don't stick. In a large bowl toss chopped radishes with sesame oil until evenly coated. Spread them out on the baking sheet.
3. Bake radishes for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and toss them in the bowl with radish greens, soy sauce, and scallion. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook two eggs sunny side up  (or however you like them) in a pan with a dash of salt/pepper to taste.
5. Remove from oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve promptly with the eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment