chioggia beets, lacinato kale, rainbow chard, baby fennel, green basil, red torpedo spring onions, garlic, parsley, tart cherries and blueberries.
What better thing to do with swiss chard and red torpedo spring onions than make pancakes!? This is adapted from an Epicurious recipe.
ww points = 3 per serving
For the Pancakes:
10 cups rainbow swiss chard, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
4 small red torpedo spring onions, chopped
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 t cinnamon
3/8 t finely ground sea salt
1/4 t allspice
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
1/3 t olive oil
For the Sauce:
3 T fat-free greek yogurt (I used 0% Fage)
3 T unsweetened applesauce
1 large apple, cut into small pieces (optional)
1. Place swiss chard in a large stock pot and just cover with cold water. Heat pot, stirring occasionally until the greens are just wilted.
2. Drain the greens in a colander, rinse with cold water (to stop the cooking), and shake colander to remove water. Then and gently squeeze excess water out with your hands (don't kill the greens though!).
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, onions, flour, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and pepper. Mix in swiss chard.
4. Pour oil in a large, nonstick frying pan (or griddle) and spread around with a basting brush. Heat the pan until hot. Using a 1/3 c measuring scoop, form the mixture into patties and drop onto the hot frying pan.
5. Cook over medium heat until brown on one side and then flip and repeat. (Be sure to let the first side completely brown or they might fall apart.)
6. Serve with apples and sauce. Pancake craving fixed!