Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lettuce and White Bean Soup


So I know this might not sound like the most appetizing soup in the world. I definitely had my doubts! Who would think to cook lettuce let alone put it in a soup? Well this soup is very tasty, healthy and a easy way to use up CSA greens. It is inspired by Epicurious. I was stuffed after eating it!

Makes about 4 cups.
Serves 4-8 (1 cup servings for main meal or 1/2 cup servings for appetizer)
WW = 4 points per cup

Ingredients:
1 cup white onion, chopped
2 T extra virgin olive oil
5 cups green leaf lettuce (or romaine), broken into pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup veggie broth (use all veggie if you prefer)
1 cup cooked cannellini beans
1/2 t agave nectar
fresh black pepper
1/4 c fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 sprigs summer savory, rough stems removed and chopped
1/2 T (per serving) non-fat greek yogurt (optional)

Instructions:
1. In a large pot saute onion in the olive oil until just starting to brown.
2. Add the lettuce and stir constantly until wilted.
3. Add broth, beans, agave, black pepper (to taste) basil, and savory.
4. Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Then puree in a blender in batches. (Be careful of the steam build-up! I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago= soup all over the kitchen).
6. Serve warm or cold. Add a 1/2 T greek yogurt if you desire but it is already pretty creamy.

Update: 7/1/12
I didn't have anymore basil left for the recipe as I used it all in my pesto recipe. Instead for the fresh herbs I used 2 sprigs of savory, 2 sprigs lemon-thyme, and 2 sprigs of oregano. If you would like the soup thinner just add a little more water. I added a 1/2 cup the second time around in addition to the broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment